As the leaves change and the cool autumn breeze settles in, Leaf Home would like to take a moment to express our heartfelt appreciation for the sacrifice and dedication of our veterans. But our commitment doesn’t stop at simply saying thank you. We believe in actively supporting veterans navigating the complex transition from the military to the private sector workforce. Through our comprehensive Veteran Program, we are proud to offer opportunities for recruitment, hiring, and career nurturing to those who have served.
Nurturing Success: Our Approach to Veterans Career Development
In 2019, 47% of post-9/11 military veterans said the transition from military service to civilian life was somewhat to very difficult. The unique structure and discipline of military life which often differ significantly from the civilian work environment, leading many veterans to experience culture shock. It can also be difficult for veterans to articulate their military skills in terms that resonate with potential employers. These employers may lack an understanding that those skills bring value to a certain position. Additionally, without an established professional network in the civilian world, veterans can find themselves at a disadvantage in a competitive job market.
At Leaf Home, we understand these challenges. That’s why we have implemented supportive initiatives to help our veterans navigate and overcome these obstacles with confidence.
Leaf Home is proud of our continued emphasis on veteran recruitment through the Leaf Home Military Engagement Program. We partner with additional channels, prioritizing recruitment and retention for two major reasons.
- It’s the right thing to do. At Leaf Home, we’re passionate about giving back to those who have sacrificed so much for us. We recognize the value and skills that veterans bring to the workplace, and we’re committed to providing opportunities for these talented individuals.
- Vets make excellent employees. Through their military service, veterans learn invaluable skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, and adaptability. These traits make them highly desirable employees who can excel in various roles within our organization.
Leaf Home is a recommended employer to the veteran community. We carry the Patriot Employer Award, MOAA Award, and Congressional Recognition.
Veteran-Centric Programs at Leaf Home
At Leaf Home, we’re committed to fostering a nurturing and supportive environment for veterans making the return to civilian life. Our goal is to help them and their families continue their professional journeys without missing a beat. We’ve created a variety of initiatives designed with veterans in mind, which offer opportunities for career advancement, continued education, and credentials acquisition.
- GI Bill Benefits: Leaf Home offers eligible veterans the opportunity to use their GI Bill benefits while working full-time at our company. This means that veterans can continue to receive a steady paycheck while furthering their education and career goals.
- Professional Development: Our veteran employees have access to ongoing training and development programs designed to enhance their skills and prepare them for advancement opportunities within the company.
- Mentorship: We pair veteran employees with experienced mentors who can provide guidance and support as they navigate their new career paths.
Partnerships That Make a Difference
We believe in the power of collaboration to create meaningful change. That’s why we’ve formed partnerships with organizations like DOD SkillBridge and Vet Connect to expand our efforts in supporting veterans.
DOD SkillBridge is a Department of Defense program that allows service members to participate in civilian job training, apprenticeships, and internships during their last 180 days of active duty. Through this partnership, we provide veterans with hands-on experience in various departments within Leaf Home, giving them insight into potential career paths.
Vet Connect is a nonprofit organization that connects veterans with employers who value their skills and experiences. By partnering with Vet Connect, we can connect with a diverse veteran talent pool and ensure we provide equal opportunities for all.
Army PaYS (Partnership for Youth Success) is a collaborative initiative between the U.S. Army and a diverse range of corporations, companies, and public agencies. This program offers young Americans a chance to contribute to their country while simultaneously preparing for their future. Service members are ensured an interview and potential employment post-service in the Army.
How to Turn Your Military Experience into a Career Asset
If you’re a veteran looking to transition into the civilian workforce, here are a few tips for leveraging your military experience and making yourself stand out as a job candidate:
- Translate Your Skills: Take the time to identify the skills and experiences you gained during your time in the military and how they can apply to different industries or roles. This will help you communicate your value to potential employers.
- Network: Reach out to other veterans, attend job fairs and networking events specifically for veterans, and utilize online resources like LinkedIn to build your professional network.
- Be Open-Minded: Be open to exploring different industries or roles that you may not have considered before. Your military experience has given you a diverse set of skills that can be applied in numerous ways.
- Highlight Your Soft Skills: Employers value soft skills like leadership, teamwork, and adaptability. Make sure to highlight examples of how you’ve demonstrated these skills in your military experience.
- Utilize Resources: Take advantage of resources available to veterans, such as resume-building workshops, mentorship programs, and job search assistance.
At Leaf Home, we recognize the importance of supporting our veterans as they navigate their career journeys. We’re proud to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for all employees, including those who have served in the military. If you’re a veteran interested in joining our team, we encourage you to explore our career opportunities. See how your skills can thrive at Leaf Home.
Additional Resources for Veterans
Here’s a list of additional resources for veterans, including resume writing services, mentorship programs, and job search assistance:
- Transition Assist Program (TAP): TAP provides information, resources, and tools to Service members and their loved ones to help prepare for the move from military to civilian life. Service members begin TAP one year before separation or two years before retiring.
- Veterans Employment Center (VEC): Offers support in creating a resume, cover letter, and completing job applications.
- Hire Heroes USA: Free access to services, including career coaching, resume writing, and mock interviews upon registration.
- Wounded Warrior Project: Offers a variety of career and transition resources, including mentorship programs and assistance with job searches.
- Hire Our Heroes (HOH): Delivers workshops and seminars targeted at veterans, focused on reinforcing interviewing skills, resume building, social media skills, coaching, and mentoring.
- 7 Eagle Group: Connects transitioning service members and military veterans with careers in cyber security, technology, sports, and aerospace defense.
Join Us in Our Commitment
At Leaf Home, we’re proud of our commitment to supporting those who have served our country. We recognize the unique strengths and skills that veterans bring to the workforce. And we are dedicated to creating opportunities for their continued success.
Join us in showing gratitude and support for our veterans by partnering with organizations like DOD SkillBridge and Vet Connect or considering a veteran for your next hire. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom. Let’s honor them not just on Veterans Day but every day.